Terminal HSSEQ Technical Advisor – Canvey Island Terminal
Attractive Salary and Benefits
Creating a better world, a better company, and a more fulfilling future…
Calor is an exciting and inspiring company to work for, where investment in our people's skills and knowledge is integral to our success. We ensure a supportive and inclusive working environment which is underpinned by our culture of expertise, safety and trust. These things allow us to lead the way in terms of sustainability, innovation and personal development.
As the lead supplier in the UK LPG market, things rarely stand still for us. From humble beginnings, and as part of SHV Energy, Calor has continued to develop and diversify, ensuring that our service offering is expansive, progressive and relevant to our customers. It is our people that enable us to do that, which is why they are the heart of our business.
The Production and Engineering team at Calor Gas are looking to recruit an engaging and proactive Terminal HSSEQ technical advisor to be based at our Canvey Island Terminal.
The role will assist the site management in achieving its health safety, security, environmental and quality aims across all site operations to ensure the site remains legislatively compliant, and complies with Calor’s HSSEQ management systems. Additionally, to provide HSSEQ advice to all on site to help build an interdependent safety culture.
Key responsibilities will include:
- To provide HSSE support for the Terminal to help maintain and develop a safety first and quality culture, with particular emphasis on regularly inspecting and auditing the facility to ensure production demands do not detract from safety, quality or compliance policies and checking that all site and visiting management display “visible felt leadership”.
- Assist and check that the Terminal accurately records all reported hazards, near misses and incidents and that they are investigated in accordance with procedure HS-Q-06 to ensure all such events are known and any learnings are identified and implemented.
- Check and assist the Terminal has an adequate level of emergency preparedness (as defined by HS-P-22), by ensuring the site has up to date and regularly tested internal and external emergency plans in accordance with HS-Q-21 and 37; it has ‘available on demand’ emergency equipment to keep its emergency preparedness PSPI in the green.
- Ensure the Terminal controls contractors working on site in accordance with Calor’s procedure HS-Q-11 to ensure they are familiar with site rules and are capable of carrying out their work in a safe manner. Legal compliance to CDM Regs, DSEAR Regs, COMAH Regs and any other associated legislation required.
- Ensure the
site Terminal controls visitors in accordance with Calor’s procedure HS-Q-35 to ensure their own and the safety of others is maintained.
- Assist and check that the site completes HSSE tasks and returns HSSE information in a timely and accurate manner to enable the publication of HSSE reports.
- To assist in all process Safety inspections, checks and assurance. To assist the maintenance team with Engineering related HSSE support.
- Assist and check that the Terminal has adequately assessed and is controlling the occupational health risks to its staff with particular attention to hearing; hand, arm and whole body vibration; contact dermatitis; and the control of substances hazardous to health.
- Assist the site with training and communication of HSSE of its staff, in particular induction training for new starters, refresher training to existing staff members and the delivery of toolbox talks and other HSSE communications.
- Take an active role in Site Safety Meetings.
- Assist the Terminal in the management and close out of HSSE actions relating to the site (from internal and external sources) to ensure that learnings from incidents are implemented and the site remains compliant with legislation and Calor’s HSSE management systems.
- Assist and check that the site maintains adequate safe systems of work (as defined by HS-P-22), by ensuring:
- suitable work instructions, jogger boards are available for routine tasks;
- risk assessments and method statements are prepared for non-routine tasks
- the permit to work procedure HS-Q-15 and isolation policy HS-P-14 are applied; and
- all people carrying out tasks have been trained and are competent to do so.
As such we would like you to be/have:
- NEBOSH Diploma (or working towards)
- Accident Investigation practitioner
- A qualified ISO 9001 auditor (would be a benefit to have knowledge of ISO14001 & 45001)
- Thorough working understanding of HSSE management systems.
- Proven experience in Oil and Gas site operations.
- Experience and qualifications in Emergency Response. (OPITO MEM would be an advantage)
- Proven ability to make decisions by exercising sound judgement in Emergency Situations
- Experience of working in hazard identification teams
- Experience in preparing and evaluating risk assessments and method statements.
- Experience of managing technical contractors and establishing HSSE requirements.
- Must have either Mechanical, Chemical or Electrical qualifications to HND or degree.
- Experience of collecting data and producing HSE stats.
- Excellent communication skills and confident public speaking with the ability to create and give presentations to all levels of staff
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office.
We look for people who are open minded, embrace new ways of working, step out of their comfort zone seek out new opportunities and look to continuously learn. Opportunities to progress, to develop and to be recognised for your achievements are part of our daily life, and we want to share that with you! Together with your commitment, drive and personal performance, we believe you can bring out the best in yourself at Calor.
If this sounds like you, please apply by clicking the link below.
We look forward to hearing from you!
If you are successful in being offered this role, you will be required to carry out pre-employment checks including: 5-year address history, 3-year employment history, financial check, criminal record check, and driving licence verification and you must be medically fit to work.
To be considered for the above opportunity you must be eligible to live and work in UK and hold a full driving licence that is valid for you to drive in the UK.
We are a responsible business where safety is our number one priority. As such, during any visit to, or employment with Calor, you may be randomly selected to undergo a drugs and alcohol test. Such results, which would be shared with you, may be taken into consideration in relation to any employment application or continued employment.
Calor Gas Ltd. adhere to ethical recruiting methods ensuring that we do not discriminate against any candidate because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.